Saturday, August 14, 2010

Chicken Katsu Curry


Chicken Katsu Curry is a dish that has long been a part of my memories growing up (no, I'm not Japanese..lol).  When I was a child, my parents took me for art/math classes...I wasn't dumb nor artistically very gifted, but it seemed like these extracurriculars could yield something in the future.  So there was this restaurant that served katsu curry as their signature dish, or maybe it was a Japanese curry restaurant...I forget....anyways, I grew up eating this dish as reminder of those hours spent slaving away over algebra and painting lessons in middle school...

Basically if you buy a packet of Japanese "curry blocks", it's fairly simple to make this delicious dish if you have solid cooking fundamentals (how to make rice, how to sauté, how to deep fry, how to hard boil, etc).  The key for a great Japanese curry is getting the right consistency....not too runny, but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon....adding the hard boiled egg brings about a richness and fattiness, and the crunchiness from the panko really accentuates the tenderness of the chicken cutlets....message me and let me know if you want a recipe or techniques on how to make this....

A perfect small plate of food!

-E-

1 comment:

  1. So, not only does the Chicken Katsu Curry look good, it tastes AMAZING!! It was better than most restaurants, because let's face it, home-cooked food can't be beat. I'm excited for the next entry, because that means more delicious food is on the way for me to taste :)

    ReplyDelete